Nurses to strike again on August 19

Senior registered nurse at the Christchurch Hospital respiratory ward Noel Moone during the...
Senior registered nurse at the Christchurch Hospital respiratory ward Noel Moone during the strike in June. Photo: Geoff Sloan
Nurses have formally declared their intention to strike again later this month.

Last week they rejected the latest pay offer by the district health boards and have now told them they will strike for eight hours on August 19.

At the weekend Health Minister Andrew Little made a direct appeal via video for more strike action to be called off.

Little said he wanted to be very clear that the proposal put to the nurses, was one proposed by the unions, so the deal nurses have rejected is one put to them by their own union.

Last month, the Nurses Organisation union (NZNO) agreed to consider the government's pay offer, but it was rejected in a ballot which closed last Thursday.

The NZNO lifted a notice for a 24-hour strike on July 29-30 so members could consider and vote on an amended offer, but strikes planned for August 19 and September 9-10  will go ahead "unless an acceptable offer is made".

NZNO lead advocate David Wait said that while the DHBs had made promising moves on pay, the offer contained "too many ambiguities".

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1_0.png

 

suv-updated-banner_0.jpg

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter