Shooting victim in stable condition - family spokeswoman

A helicopter takes off with a critically injured person on board from a house in Coast Rd north...
A helicopter takes off with from Karitane after Friday's incident in the township. Photo: Daisy Hudson
The victim of a shooting on Friday afternoon is in a stable condition at Christchurch Hospital, a family spokeswoman says.

The man was taken to Christchurch by helicopter on Friday in a critical condition after an incident at a property in Karitane.

The Otago Daily Times understands the man was shot in the head.

The spokeswoman said the victim was surrounded by family at the hospital yesterday.

"It’s still uncertain at the moment but he’s doing OK, under the circumstances. He’s surviving," she said.

She declined to provide further details.

A spokesman for Christchurch Hospital declined to provide an update on the victim’s condition, citing privacy concerns.

Meanwhile, on Saturday a 24-year-old man appeared in the Dunedin District Court, charged with attempted murder after the shooting.

The accused was granted interim name suppression and remanded in custody until his next court appearance in the High Court on October 26.

The victim’s name was also suppressed.

ODT reporters saw a man in handcuffs who had been arrested on SH1 just after 4pm on Friday.

Shortly afterwards, about 4.45pm, at the Karitane property, reporters saw the victim on a stretcher being loaded into a helicopter.

Detective Inspector Stu Harvey, of Dunedin, said police were called to the scene about 3.20pm.

Police were not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident and were still working to establish the circumstances.

However, it was believed the two men were known to each other, he said.

The family spokeswoman disputed this and said the shooting was random and "out of the blue".

Police declined to comment further yesterday.

wyatt.ryder@odt.co.nz

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter