Stuck in a Doc hut playing cards, toting wood

It fell from the sky, a constant pounding of millions of clear sparkling translucent droplets.

The clouds growled at me and then cracked in anger as the rain cascaded down upon me.

It stung and then bit me as I walked into the old Doc hut with a pile of pine logs straining my forearms.

We had been staying in the hut for three days now and the constant pitter-patter of rain hadn't stopped since we had arrived there.

We were chewing through the wood. At the rate it was going, we would be out in less than two days.

The cabin was virtually bare except for a set of old pine bunk beds, an open fire and a timeless rickety rocking chair.

The fire was a welcome sight as the flames danced and flickered, illuminating the windowless room.

It brought a sense of happiness and light to the cold, dark, damp shack.

It wasn't just the rain but the cold too.

I would wake in the morning when there was no welcoming fire, and my breath would be a cloud of white mist just like the old Kingston Flyer puffing through the foothills.

The water bottles would freeze, as well as my toes.

Dad had claimed the rocking chair, so I got the bunks.

Every time he sat down, the chair would moan in protest like an old Friesian when she hadn't been milked.

We were on a hunting trip staying in a bleak, frigid Doc hut just north of Ohau.

We hadn't done any hunting but we had played plenty of cards, and brought in plenty of firewood.

The downpour was starting to create slips and floods.

We had one leak right in the centre of the hut roof. It was all very musical.

The consistent dripping in the billy was just like a metronome at about 75 beats a minute. The corrugated iron roof resonated the rain just like a drum, but making it a million times louder.

Suddenly the constant pitter-patter stopped. The roof stopped ringing with droplets.

The metronome ticked its last tick and the rain had ceased.

We didn't quite believe it. It was over.

We opened the creaky old door and looked outside and there right in front of our eyes was the biggest most vivid rainbow you will ever see.

The clouds were rolling back and the sun was coming out.

It was as if all my senses were turned up. I could feel the fresh cool, breeze, as it drifted through my hair.

And I was warmed by the first glimpses of sunlight hitting my face, as they permeated deep inside me.

The sun was filtering through the valley, lightening the mood and our spirits. It was finally over, and for the first time since we had got there, I heard a chorus of bird song.


• By Sam Crosson, Year 11, Otago Boys' High School



Add a Comment




Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter