Schoolgirl allegedly abducted, sexually assaulted

Photo: File
Photo: File
Police are investigating an incident in which an Auckland schoolgirl was allegedly abducted and sexually assaulted, before being released four hours later.

Police have confirmed they received a report of an abduction and assault of a teenage student on Wednesday afternoon.

"The incident is reported to have happened in Western Springs," a police statement said.

"Police are investigating with the victim and her family to understand the circumstances.

"As the investigation is in its early stages, police are not in a position to give any further details."

The New Zealand Herald understands the young teenager walking on Meola Rd just before 2pm.

A community post describes the incident as "very sad and serious". It says the man was aged in his mid-50s and driving a dark-coloured station wagon.

The girl is understood to have been found about four hours later near the St Lukes shopping mall.

The community post warned students not to walk with headphones and to take photos of any strangers who might try to approach them.

Incident came after primary school child approached

The alleged incident happened two days after a pupil at a school in neighbouring Pt Chevalier was approached by a man in a vehicle.

As a result of that incident, Pt Chevalier School sent a note to parents encouraging them to warn their children of "stranger danger".

The notice, signed by principal Stephen Lethbridge, said: "[Our school] has been informed by another local school about an incident [on Monday] where a student was approached by a Caucasian male in a black van on Pt Chevalier Road."

He wrote that police had been informed about the incident and asked parents to encourage youngsters to look after themselves when walking to and from school.

"As always, please encourage your children to be safe when walking home and, where possible, walk with another student or stay in a group."

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter