Christchurch City Council agrees to six months rates remission.
- The number of family harm events in Canterbury has remained above average since Monday, but less than police were expecting after one of the busiest recorded days for domestic violence on Saturday.
- A 16-year-old girl who arrived back into the country from Spain on Friday and is in isolation in an Auckland hotel has no idea when she will be able to get back to her South Island home.
Emulating kindness in times like the Covid-19 pandemic is crucial according to Belfast community worker Damian Ardell, who dedicates his life in service of others.
- Christchurch City Council staff are continuing to process building and resource consents during the lockdown.
- Fire crews attended two suspicious car fires in Canterbury on Thursday morning.
- The Tenants Protection Association wants the government to step in and cover rent when a tenant is faced with paying for two properties because of lockdown restrictions.
The Government is set to update New Zealand on its response to the Covid-19 pandemic at 1pm and reveal the number of new cases.
- Police Commissioner Mike Bush has admitted the advice given to Kiwis about what they're able to do during the lockdown hasn't been clear enough.
- Bauer Media NZ is closing its doors permanently, staff have been told.
- In the days ahead, up to 38 patients could be in intensive care units across the South at any one time, Southern District Health Board chief executive Chris Fleming says.
- Canterbury's observatories might be in lockdown, but there is plenty for budding scientists and the superstitious to discover.
- As Canterbury families went into lockdown last week, Cameron Henderson was contemplating becoming a father for the first time.
- Food outlets in a Canterbury district that have been closed over the past week are being targeted by burglars and thieves.
Showbiz Christchurch performers have been creating musical theatre inspired videos from their isolation pods to lift people's spirits.
- A major show set to take place at the Christchurch Botanic Gardens has been postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Police are using surf cameras to check for Covid-19 lockdown rule breakers as a dramatic injury demonstrates the danger of practising outdoor sports.
- Christchurch retirement villages and rest homes are doing their bit to keep residents positive through the lockdown.
Four new states in the US imposed sweeping stay-at-home directives on Wednesday in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Japan will ban entry to foreigners from 73 countries and ask everyone arriving from abroad to quarantine themselves for two weeks.
- The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) has voiced deep concern about "the rapid escalation and global spread" of COVID-19 cases.
- The US government is racing to build hundreds of makeshift hospitals as the country marks 700 deaths in a day from Covid-19 - the equivalent of a person dying every two minutes.