The five finalists have been decided for the Otago Daily Times and Rural Life Year of the Farmer initiative. This week, rural editor Sally Rae talks to the first of the finalists, Heriot-based...
- Flooding in Southland and Otago sparked the declaration of states of emergencies in both provinces last month.
- The ODT and Rural Life have been overwhelmed by the support and enthusiasm for the 2023 Year of the Farmer initiative, which celebrates the South Island’s food and fibre producing champions.
- Taieri teenager Finn Wilson, along with his heading dog Chick, is the first student to enrol in a two-year programme providing practical experience on a sheep and beef farm in Otago.
Recognising the signs a cow is on heat is crucial to a successful mating, a Southland dairy farmer says.
- An auction for young breeders to buy stud calves is the brainchild of Waikaia breeder Megan Thomas.
- Scott Waddell has come a long way from starting his electrical trade 11 years ago, to leading one of New Zealand’s largest process heat decarbonisation projects.
- A South Otago dairy farmer is using Canadian genetics in a bid to curb frustrations from a lack of udder longevity in his herd.
Nearly 40 South Devon cattle enthusiasts from around the world are in New Zealand for a conference and national tour, which included a stop on the Taieri last week.
- Alliance Group has posted a loss before tax of $97.9 million for the financial year ending September 30 on a turnover of $2 billion.
- Southland farmer Murray Donald is the new chairman of the Beef + Lamb New Zealand directors’ independent remuneration committee.
- A steak selected at a North Otago meatworks has been judged the best in the world.
Freeway Orchard owner Kristin Jackson checks the taste of the first of the season’s cherries picked for her Cromwell orchard shop.
- Snack-sized apple business Rockit Global is expanding into the South Island to build its growing base.
- South Canterbury’s Turley family are breaking new ground in an apple orchard joint venture with Rockit Global.
- New fruit production training aims to make it easier for Central Otago employees and businesses to get the skills they need.
Luxury Italian textile-maker Reda has celebrated 30 years of farm ownership in the central South Island.
- Reporter Shawn McAvinue spends five minutes speaking to sheep and beef farmer Grant McNaughton, of North Otago.
- As a young girl growing up in the suburbs of Dunedin, Bailey Harris can recall a strong desire to one day work as a farm cook and nanny and she chuckles while she chats to Southern Rural Life.
- Errol Copland has never lived anywhere else but now he and wife Marylyn are preparing to farewell their Southland farm.
A call is being made for farmers to open their gates to the public for a national open farm day next year.
- The Southland Arable Hub is set to host a pre-harvest trials tour and growers leading change discussion meeting.
- Early summer sun shone brightly on the South Otago A&P Show in Balclutha on Saturday.
- The South Devon Cattle Society World Conference visited Loch Lomond stud, south of Dunedin on the Taieri last week.