Computer explodes, causes house fire

Photo: Getty Images
Photo: Getty Images
A computer that had "exploded" caused a house fire in Christchurch on Tuesday night.

Fire crews from the Spreydon station attended the "small house fire" on Smartlea St about 6.15pm.

Firefighters were at the property for about two hours.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said the woman who lives in the house called the fire service to say her computer had exploded.

She was waiting outside her home when emergency services arrived.

The spokesman said there were no reported injuries.

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter