Forsyth Barr Stadium could host its third major international
concert later this year, just months after Paul Simon appears
Dunedin Venues Management Ltd chief executive Darren Burden
confirmed he was in talks aimed at securing another major
international act to follow Paul Simon's April 6 show.
If confirmed, the concert would be of similar or larger scale
to Simon's show, and would be staged at the stadium later
this year, he said.
The company had been fielding ''a number of inquiries''
during the past 18 months, but traction had increased as
relationships with promoters had developed, he said.
''We are working on a couple of things at the moment. We will
see what happens in the coming months.
''There's one opportunity that we are working on that we have
progressed further than others. It's by no means a done deal
and we will continue to work on it and see where we get to,''
Since opening, the roofed venue had struggled to attract a
follow-up act to rival Elton John, who performed to a
sell-out crowd in November 2011.
The dearth of headline acts prepared to follow in his
footsteps had prompted criticism, but DVML staff - including
former chief executive David Davies - blamed the situation on
a tough touring market.