A potentially toxic blue-green algae has returned to Lake
The Otago Regional Council yesterday issued another warning
for the public to keep their dogs away and avoid contact with
Council environmental information and science director John
Threlfall said the lake had been given the all clear earlier
in the month but the algae had come back.
The dark green algae could produce toxins which were passed
into the water and could be fatal to dogs and make people
It was discovered in Lake Waihola and Tomahawk Beach in early
Otago medical officer of health Dr Marion Poore said people
should not swim in the lake and fishermen and boat users
should exercise caution.
Signs would be put up where the algae had been found and the
council would continue to monitor the situation.