The exterior of the Temple Gallery and apartments in Moray
Pl, Dunedin. Photo supplied.
Dunedin's Temple Gallery and adjoining apartments on
Moray Pl are now for mortgagee sale by auction, having been on
the market for almost four months.
The 146-year-old Victorian building, once a synagogue and
later a freemasons' temple, was converted into two apartments
and the Temple Gallery about 20 years ago.
The two-storey 960sq m building is now designated mixed-used
residential and commercial. The art gallery has potential for
conversion into a retail site or cafe. It has capital value
An auction by Harcourts, scheduled to close today, has been
extended to March 6.
The building opened as a synagogue in 1864, making it the
oldest synagogue in New Zealand. It was expanded in 1872 by
architect David Ross, then converted in 1881 to a masonic
hall, which it remained for the next 111 years.
The building was bought in 1992 by husband-and-wife
developers and art dealers Peter Duncan and Victoria Timpany.