Dunedin firefighters with breathing apparatus prepare to enter a boarding house in High St yesterday. Photo by Gregor Richardson.
Fire forced occupants of a central Dunedin boarding house
into the street yesterday.
Firefighters from Dunedin, Roslyn and St Kilda responded to
the 1.55pm call of ''persons reported'', which was used when
occupants of a burning building were unaccounted for, Dunedin
station officer Stephen Clarke said.
''That's why we responded with three appliances, and why the
ambulance was automatically dispatched, as well,'' he said.
Firefighters arrived at the High St boarding house to find a
bed on fire within one of the ''dozen or so'' bedrooms.
The blaze was extinguished and most damage was contained
within the room.
''The mattress was mostly destroyed and there was heat and
smoke damage throughout the room,'' Mr Clarke said.
No-one was injured and eventually all occupants were
accounted for. It appeared a DVD player had been left on top
of bedding, which started burning from the heat of the
''It may have overheated or malfunctioned. The occupant had
left the room and the bedding caught on fire,'' Mr Clarke
Police also attended.