Cruise New Zealand deputy chairman Kevin O'Sullivan, of
Southland, delivers a presentation about the coming cruise
season to Dunedin retailers and tourism operators at Port
Otago yesterday. Photo by Craig Baxter.
Dunedin's first cruise-ship visit of the season has been
cancelled due to bad weather in the North Island.
Sea Princess was due to berth at Port Chalmers
tomorrow but its journey around New Zealand has been hampered
by bad weather.
Dunedin City Council business development adviser Sophie
Barker said the ship's scheduled day at Port Chalmers had
''We shall all have to look forward to the Sun
Princess, on October 25, as our first ship,'' she said.
The first scheduled cruise-ship visit to Dunedin last year
was also cancelled.
About 90 people involved in the cruise season attended
''pre-brief'' sessions at Port Otago yesterday.
One of the key speakers, Cruise New Zealand executive officer
Raewyn Tan, could not attend because her flight to Dunedin
was cancelled due to strong winds in the North Island.
Instead, Cruise New Zealand deputy chairman Kevin O'Sullivan,
of Southland, delivered a presentation about what retailers
and tourism operators could expect from the coming cruise
season and how they could best accommodate passengers and
their various needs.
He said the number of ship visits and passengers was expected
to remain relatively static this season, although there would
be slightly fewer Australian visitors and more from the
United States, which meant more money was likely to be spent
in the Dunedin area.
Overall, about 140,000 passengers would visit, about 54% of
New regulations established by Port Otago for tour operators
were also outlined yesterday.