Steve and Jennie Roome are dwarfed by the large boulder
which landed in their St Kilda, Dunedin, home in June.
Photo by Craig Baxter.
The Roome family members might soon be able to return to
their Ravelston St, Dunedin, home after a three-tonne boulder
crashed through part of their house in June.
Steve and Jennie Roome said the Earthquake Commission (EQC)
had paid their claim and repairs to their home had begun.
Mr Roome said the family was woken about 3.30am on June 19
when the large boulder rolled down the hill behind their
house and crashed through his 13-year-old daughter's bedroom,
demolishing her bed.
Fortunately, she was not at home.
Mrs Roome said the incident petrified her boys - aged 3, 4
and 6 - who were in the house at the time.
However, terror quickly turned to frustration and
They were initially told to leave the house because it was
unsafe and that it would take four to six weeks for
independent insurance assessors Cerno, and EQC, to sort out
the insurance claim.
Months later, they learnt that process could take four to six
They had spent the past four and a-half months living in
relatives' homes, friends' homes, a camping ground and, more
recently, in rented accommodation.
The Roomes became concerned last month when insurance
payments for alternate accommodation began to dry up.
Now the EQC claim had been finalised and paid, Mr Roome said
the rock face behind the house was being stabilised and
boulders that hit the house were removed. House repairs would
start soon. Mr Roome was delighted the situation had been
''We hope to be back in the house by the end of November,''
''The boys are really keen to go home. They keep asking when
we can go home.''