More than 400 submissions have been lodged with the Otago
Regional Council on its proposed changes to Dunedin public
Earlier this month, the council advertised its plan to change
services on its Garden Village, Roslyn-Maori Hill-Prospect
Park, Otago Peninsula, Port Chalmers-Ravensbourne and
It also proposed to discontinue bus runs in Murray, Skibo and
Lockerbie Sts as well as along the Otago Peninsula beyond
Changes will take effect from July 1 next year, when two bus
ORC director of policy planning and resource management
Fraser McRae said the council was pleased so many submissions
had already been received, before tomorrow's 5pm deadline.
''There have been many well thought out, and constructive
suggestions for improvements to the services under review. It
is great to see so many people having their say on the
proposed changes,'' he said.
Surveys for each of the affected routes were available on the
council's website, and most submissions had been made online.
Council staff also distributed printed surveys to residents
where bus services were being discontinued in their present
The council claimed the changes were designed to simplify the
network, focus travel where user demand indicated a need for
services, and provide more reliable travel schedules.
Mr McRae said the council would consider all suggestions
before implementing the best solution for the majority of bus
users ''at a financially viable cost''.
A decision would be announced next year.