Proposed changes to the Dunedin Garden Village bus route
have sparked the most responses from submitters to the Otago
In total, 483 submissions were lodged with the council on its
proposed changes to five existing public bus routes and the
discontinuation of some services in Dunedin.
Of those received before the December 20 deadline, 143
related to the Garden Village route.
Others concerned the Otago Peninsula (89), Roslyn-Maori
Hill-Prospect Park (82), Port Chalmers-Ravensbourne (66), and
Waverley (48) routes.
There were also 55 submissions on the proposal to discontinue
bus runs in Murray, Skibo and Lockerbie Sts.
Earlier this month, the council advertised its plan to change
services from July 1 next year, when two bus contracts
ORC director of policy planning and resource management
Fraser McRae said many submissions were well thought-out and
contained constructive suggestions for improvements to the
services under review.
The council said changes were designed to simplify the
network, focus travel where user demand indicated a need, and
provide more reliable travel schedules.
Mr McRae said the council would consider all suggestions
before implementing the best solution for the majority of bus
users ''at a financially viable cost''.
A hearing date for submissions had not yet been finalised.
The council's offices were due to reopen on January 6 and its
first meeting was scheduled for January 29.