A national directive for police to focus on monitoring
protection orders was issued just a month before the death of
two Dunedin children.
Police Minister Anne Tolley confirmed the directive in a
statement to the Otago Daily Times, following
questions in the aftermath of last week's killings.
''Nationally, all police districts have been focusing on
their processes for monitoring protection orders,'' she said.
Edward Hamilton Livingstone (51) shot his two children in
their St Leonards home last Wednesday.
Livingstone, who later turned the shotgun on himself, was the
subject of a protection order.
The order was first issued on May 5 and Livingstone breached
the order in August, by contacting his estranged wife,
He admitted the charge and, as it was his first offence, he
was granted police diversion.
Following a September 14 incident he was charged a second
time with breaching the protection order and again admitted
''That you phoned her and left a message is in direct
contravention of the terms of the protection order,'' Judge
Stephen Coyle told Livingstone at the sentencing hearing.
Mrs Tolley declined to talk about the murders or an ODT
report Livingstone was able to source a shotgun.
''The full facts are yet to emerge and a police investigation
is ongoing, which will include how the offender was able to
obtain a firearm. I don't want to pre-empt that,'' she said.
''This is such a tragic, disturbing event and my heart goes
out to this family.''
A Police National Headquarters spokeswoman confirmed the
directive was issued at the end of last year.
''As a result of a continued focus in this area, all
districts were tasked to enhance the process around
monitoring of active protection orders at the end of 2013.
''Protection orders and breaches of protection orders have
and always will be a priority for police.''
Inspector Greg Sparrow, area commander Dunedin Clutha
Waitaki, said the full facts of the Dunedin murders would be
put before the coroner's court in due course.