The Dunedin City Council says it will need to have ''serious
conversations'' with some Ocean View homeowners covered by a
proposed ban on new development in the area.
However, the possibility of a reprieve has also been floated
again as council staff continue to stress the stricter
approach - which aimed to protect against natural hazards -
is not yet ''set in stone''.
The proposed changes, unveiled on Tuesday, would result in a
variety of new hazard zones and planning restrictions
included in the council's second-generation district plan.
That would include new ''extreme risk'' zones, where the
threat of natural disasters - including flooding, landslips,
tsunamis and sea level rise - was considered so significant
new development would be banned.
That was expected to have a ''significant impact'' on the
owners planning to develop vacant sites and who would be
prevented from doing so in future, council policy planner
Sally Dicey said.
''We recognise that and that's why this is a draft process.
We're emphasising that and urging those people to come and
talk to us. This is not set in stone.''
The comments came as Ms Dicey confirmed there were 26 vacant
residential sites across the city on which development would
be prohibited under the proposed extreme risk hazard zones.
If subdivided, those could be split into 104 sites, adding to
the theoretical lost development potential.
Another 86 vacant sites would be covered by the new high-risk
hazard zones, the next level down in risk, which could be
subdivided into 258 sites, she said.
Under the proposed changes, the high-risk zones would still
make new homes a non-complying activity requiring resource
consent in future.
However, Ms Dicey said the figures reflected only the
theoretical development potential, and not the likely demand,
which was influenced by a wide range of factors.
Some of the vacant sites would also only be partly covered by
the new zones, and the new rules that came with the zones
would only apply inside the areas covered, she said.
Ocean View was ''the most dramatic'' of the areas affected by
the proposed changes, but the boundaries of the hazard zones
remained ''very draft'', she said.
They had been taken straight from Otago Regional Council
maps, but could yet be changed as a result of public
consultation and in discussion with ORC staff, she indicated.
''We're happy to take input from people, and we're going to
have to have serious conversations with those people out in
However, under the existing proposals, those planning to
demolish old houses and build bigger new homes would be
prevented from doing so in the most at-risk areas, she
To do so, they would need existing use rights, which depended
in part on making no ''significant'' change to the size of
the home, she said.
''It does depend a little bit on how much they were going to
increase the size. For those people ... they would be better
to do an extension, and for that extension they would have to
apply for a consent.
''But if you knocked down entirely, then they're at risk of
falling under that prohibited activity status,'' she said.
Public consultation on the natural hazards proposals will run
from June 24 to August 1 and include 11 public meetings.
Extreme risk zones
- The Dunedin City Council is proposing hazard overlay maps
and new planning restrictions for second-generation district
plan, which controls development across city.
- Changes would include ''extreme risk'' zones, including for
coastal threats (tsunamis, storm surges, erosion and sea
level rise), prohibiting new development.
- Existing beachside homes in Ocean View among those covered
by proposed coastal ''extreme risk'' zone.
- Existing use rights would apply, meaning existing homes
- New homes on vacant lots, and demolition/complete
replacement of existing homes with bigger homes, would be
- Concerns changes could lower property values and affect
- Proposals yet to be confirmed; subject to public
consultation (June 24 to August 1) and changes possible.
Risk zone maps: www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/306317/city-faces-facts-risk