The exterior of the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency
Co Ltd building in Thomas Burns St, Dunedin.
The first steps have been taken in the proposed
redevelopment of a historic Dunedin building.
Building consent has been granted for earthquake
strengthening of the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency
Co Ltd building in Thomas Burns St, and resource consent was
publicly notified last week.
Owner Russell Lund said it was another step forward for the
redevelopment, but was ''just a matter of course''.
''We don't have to do a great deal to the building so that
[building consent] was pretty easy.''
The building consent allowed an estimated $50,000 of
earthquake strengthening - including securing masonry walls
to the roof diaphragms and a concrete floor being laid on the
second floor - to go ahead.
Further earthquake strengthening would take place if the
redevelopment received resource consent.
Dunedin City Council resource consents manager Alan
Worthington said the consent was publicly notified as the
proposed residential use of the building was a non-complying
activity because of its Port 2 zoning.
Submissions on the application close on July 30 and a
recommendation on the application will be made after that.
A date for a resource consent hearing was not set yet, but it
was likely to be in August, he said.
Heritage New Zealand Otago-Southland area manager Jonathan
Howard said the agency was ''very supportive'' of the
''sensitive, adaptive reuse'' of the building.
''There's a bit of innovation there ... and sometimes we need
that to make something vibrant,'' he said.
''As long as it's sympathetic to the building, we are all for
His views were echoed by Southern Heritage Trust founder Ann
''The building itself is such a landmark from so many
perspectives and ... it's great to see it coming back into
use,'' she said.
''It's adaptive reuse in the best way.''
The trust would be submitting on the application and it would
likely be supportive, she said.
The exterior of the category 2 142-year-old building will be
restored and the second floor redeveloped into a 24-unit
apartment complex if the proposed resource consent
application is approved.
Mr Lund said people supported the proposed redevelopment.
''Everyone I have spoken to has been universally positive
about the project,'' he said.
He was excited about the potential of the building.
''It's a blank canvas,'' he said.
''But we really have to get through the consent and see what
conditions are imposed.''