Trevor McStay with new bollards installed on the street.
Photo by Craig Baxter.
A South Dunedin resident upset at cycleway initiatives
has presented a 600-strong petition to the Dunedin City Council
calling for the changes to be reversed.
Trevor McStay presented the petition, signed by 657
residents, to councillors at a public forum at the start of
Thursday's infrastructure services committee meeting.
Mr McStay, who lives in Marlow St, was upset a two-way
intersection at Marlow St and Royal Cres became a one-way
exit-only from Marlow St.
The change created a ''quiet street'' and forced people who
had used it as a through route to find new ways to schools
Mr McStay said he wanted the change, and others in the area,
reversed, and the council had been ''underhanded'' in not
keeping residents adequately informed.
Of the 657 people who signed the petition, only ''about 12''
had heard about the changes before they were introduced, he
Mr McStay said he would have opposed the changes had he
known, but had since been told by council staff the new
arrangements ''were here to stay, no matter what you do''.
He was not against cycleways; ''it's just the way they have
blocked off the streets''.
''I think cyclists and motorists can share the roads.
''Could you please listen and make the changes back to our
roads,'' he urged councillors.
Council senior transportation planner Lisa Clifford, speaking
last month, told the Otago Daily Times the council was always
open to feedback from residents.
The change was consulted on as part of both the Royal Cres
and Marlow St cycle routes, she said.
Staff had also offered to visit to explain why the change was
made - mainly to improve the safety of cyclists - but that
offer had been declined.