The Dunedin City Council plans to carry on with its
funding of the stadium, despite the two court cases being taken
against the project.
Council chief executive Jim Harland said yesterday the cases
did not affect the council's work, as the High Court in
Christchurch last month had made a decision in its favour.
Until there was a decision to the contrary, the project would
"We have a commitment to make payments, we need a funding
line, and that's in the [council annual] plan until a court
tells us otherwise."
There are two court actions against the stadium, one with a
hearing date and another yet to get a date.
Stop the Stadium has appealed a High Court decision last
month that dismissed the group's injunction that would have
barred the Dunedin City Council from signing a stadium
A Court of Appeal spokeswoman said from Wellington yesterday
the notice of appeal had been received.
There was a six-month time-frame in which the case could be
heard, with the possibility of a three-month extension, but
it was up to the appellant to request an early hearing if
that was required, and that had not been done yet.
Basil Walker, of Queenstown, has a High Court challenge
against the Otago Regional Council's funding of the project,
with a hearing set down for June 4.
The Otago Regional Council gave the court a binding
undertaking it would not enter into any contract for funding
the stadium, or provide any funding for its construction,
until after its annual plan was finalised, provided there was
a hearing before June 5.
Counsel Alistair Logan said last week the ORC was happy to
give the undertaking as it had never intended to hand over
any money until August.