Rotorua firefighters spent more than five hours putting out a
scrub fire, which could have been started by a cigarette
Rotorua Fire Service senior station officer Joe Pope said
crews were called out to Ngakuru about 1.30am this morning.
Crews spent about five and a half hours battling a scrub fire
in a roadside verge. The fire was about 400 metres by 50
metres in size.
No houses were threatened by the blaze.
Two water pumps and a water tanker were needed to put out the
Mr Pope said the fire could have been started by one of two
things, either a cigarette butt being thrown out a car window
or an electric fence.
The incident served as a reminder to people to take extreme
care in the dry conditions because fires were more easily
Despite the light rain in Rotorua today, Mr Pope said the
city would need about a week of constant rain for the fire
risk to reduce.
- The Daily Post