Victim of assault identified

The man assaulted in Albert Town on Thursday was a 23-year-old Dutch fruit picker.

Sergeant Simon Paget, of Wanaka, told the Otago Daily Times yesterday the man was knocked unconscious during the attack.

He was due to have a medical check up late yesterday.

The man and his girlfriend left the Dale St scene after Thursday's incident.

Sgt Paget said they had been ''very shaken and upset''.

On Friday, police asked the public to help trace the man, and he made contact on Sunday.

Sgt Paget said he was unable to say what led to the attack because the matter was before the court.

• Two of the four men charged in relation to the incident were remanded in custody overnight by Judge Michael Turner following a Youth Court appearance in Queenstown yesterday.

An 18-year-old, arrested on Saturday, was charged with offering to supply class C-controlled cannabis plant and stealing $270 cash from an unknown male at Albert Town on January 9.

A 20-year-old man, remanded in custody on Friday, faces one charge of assaulting a person unknown, with intent to injure him.

Both will reappear in the Youth Court tomorrow, along with a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old, who are also charged with assaulting a person unknown with intent to injure him.

All were granted interim name suppression by Judge Turner.

The 15-year-old was in CYF care. However, he had not been returned to Queenstown for yesterday's court appearance.

The matter will be recalled this morning.