A still image taken from a KHSB-TV video footage shows aerial of the flames and firefighters working at the scene of a fire at Kansas City, Missouri. Photo from Reuters
Multiple injuries are being reported after a suspected gas
explosion sparked a massive fire that engulfed an entire
block at an upmarket shopping centre in Kansas City.
Police spokeswoman Rhonda Flores said it appeared that a car
crashed into a gas main near a restaurant at 6.03pm on
Tuesday evening (local time).
Flores said injuries were reported, but did not know how many
or how severe. She noted an initial call for three ambulances
had been increased to 10. She said she had not heard of any
reported fatalities. Flores said the car crash appeared to
have been an accidental.
Kerry O'Connor, a spokeswoman for St Luke's Hospital, which
is near the scene of the fire, said several patients were on
the way to the hospital. She said they haven't been assessed
yet but "they appear to be critical at this time".
Fire officials didn't immediately return a phone call seeking
comment on Tuesday evening.
The, but television video showed flames shooting out of the
Country Club Plaza.
The smell of gas was very strong near the area long after the
Video showed dozens of firefighters and other emergency
responders battling a massive blaze that appeared to have
engulfed an entire block, with flames burning through the
roofs. Black smoke swirled in the air and debris littered
The shopping area was established in 1922 by J.C. Nichols.
Based on the architecture of Seville, Spain, it includes
retail, restaurants, apartments and offices.