Lincoln South opponents raise over $11k for legal costs

Residents group Lincoln Voice is thrilled with the contributions to its fight against the...
Residents group Lincoln Voice is thrilled with the contributions to its fight against the proposed Lincoln South development. Photo: Supplied
Residents opposing the controversial Lincoln South housing development are thrilled to receive more than $11,000 in community contributions as they head to the Environment Court.

The residents, represented by their group Lincoln Voice, created a Givealittle page last month, which had raised $11,276 as of Tuesday.

“We have engaged a lawyer and everything is very much on track,” said spokesperson Denise Carrick.

Denise Carrick.
Denise Carrick.
The contributions have been given by 99 donors, with at least one donation of $2500.

Lincoln Voice had earlier estimated $7000 would be required to prepare and lodge an appeal, while the ultimate goal of $150,000 was to cover legal fees.

“We are ecstatic at the support we have received from around the community, and would like to thank everyone who has contributed so far,” Carrick said.

They have until August 4 to appeal the Lincoln South decision, made by Selwyn district councillors when they adopted the Lincoln South rezoning application from Carter Group.

It followed two rounds of public consultation and independent commissioner David Caldwell recommending the district council approve the plan change, paving the way for 1710 homes on 190ha of rural land.

The majority of the more than 200 submitters were opposed to the development, claiming the township was not equipped to handle an expansion of that magnitude.

“We really want to stand up for the future of our soils, our ability to grow food and our neighbourhood to make sure it is developed in a logical, healthy and sustainable way,” Carrick said.

  • Further information on the Lincoln Voice campaign can be found here.

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter