Workers out of Pike River mine after carcinogens found

A loader driven by one of the two men to survive the Pike River Mine explosion 10 years ago was...
A loader driven by one of the two men to survive the Pike River Mine explosion 10 years ago was pulled out of the drift last week. Photo: Pike River Recovery Agency
Underground workers have been withdrawn from the Pike River mine on the West Coast after samples returned positive for the presence of carcinogens.

The Pike River Recovery Agency says the team working underground encountered an unusual substance on the walls and roof of the tunnel and took samples.

Last week, a loader driven by one of the two men to survive the Pike River Mine explosion 10 years ago was pulled out of the drift by the Pike River Recovery Agency underground team.

It was being driven by Russell Smith on November 19 in 2010 when the mine exploded, killing 29 men.

The recovery team reached the machine at the 1575-metre mark, and removed it by pushing and pulling it with loaders on either side.

The loader was being driven by Russell Smith on November 19, 2010 when the mine exploded. Photo:...
The loader was being driven by Russell Smith on November 19, 2010 when the mine exploded. Photo: Pike River Recovery Agency
The Minister Responsible for Pike River Re-entry, Andrew Little, said the recovery meant they were now moving into an area of the Pike River mine that had not been seen since the explosion.

"The fifth and last robot was recovered before the loader, and now there's several hundred metres of previously unexplored drift and roadways in the Pit Bottom in Stone area that have not been seen since 2010.

"We've reached a significant point in the recovery which is about trying to find out why the 29 men who went to work on 19 November, 2010 didn't come home."

The $51 million recovery is nearing the end of the drift (entry tunnel) and the project.

 

suv-updated-banner.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter