Crown takes over site of NG Building on Madras St for Christchurch stadium

The 116-year-old NG Building in the central city. Photo: RNZ / Nate McKinnon
The 116-year-old NG Building in the central city. Photo: RNZ / Nate McKinnon
The Crown has acquired the last remaining piece of land needed for Christchurch's new covered stadium.

The land which houses the NG Building on Madras St is being taken under earthquake legislation.

Previous attempts to buy the building have failed.

Land Information New Zealand said last month that a notice of intention to take the land had been issued and was the first step in the compulsory acquisition set out in the Greater Christchurch Regeneration Act.

The owners of the building, as well as the Christchurch Civic Trust and Historic Places Canterbury have previously fought to save the 116-year-old warehouse which also has retail space for NG Design.

Ground works are already under way at the stadium site which takes in a large block of land in the central city.

The building is the last standing on the site where work has begun on the stadium. Photo: RNZ /...
The building is the last standing on the site where work has begun on the stadium. Photo: RNZ / Nate McKinnon
Originally it was planned to incorporate the building into the stadium design but the intention changed when the stadium's location was changed slightly.

Co-owners Roland Logan and Sharon Ng who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars strengthening the building before learning it was in the footprint of the planned stadium worked hard to save it.

They said that with about 70 per cent of Christchurch's inner city buildings gone or tagged for demolition, the building served as a post-earthquake hub for designers, architects and artists, as well as the NG Boutique. It was a symbol of heritage resilience and continuity.

They had been looking into plans to relocate the building elsewhere, but at this stage its future remains unclear.

LINZ has been contacted for comment.

The land will officially come under Crown ownership from May 4.

drivesouth-pow-generic-1_0.png

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter