Christchurch City Council on notice to get rid of Bromley odour by January

The city council has been served an abatement notice to stop the offensive odour from lingering...
The city council has been served an abatement notice to stop the offensive odour from lingering beyond the boundary of its organics processing site, Living Earth, by January next year. Photo: Newsline ​
Christchurch City Council has until January next year to stop an offensive odour from lingering beyond the site of its controversial organics processing plant.

Environment Canterbury served the city council an abatement notice, requiring it stop the “offensive and objectionable” discharge beyond its Living Earth plant by January 31, 2022.

It comes after a move by the city council last year to redevelop the composting plant in Metro Pl, Bromley, to mitigate ongoing odour issues plaguing nearby residents.

“We know that people have had enough of the odour problems and want the situation resolved. Work is already underway developing the detailed scope of works and user requirements that will form the basis of the tender documentation for the re-development project,” said Helen Beaumont, city council head of three waters and waste. 

The plant processes food and green waste collected through the city’s kerbside collection, which is then turned into compost.

The city council will invest about $22 million to upgrade the technology and construct a second processing building, ensuring all parts of the composting process occurred indoors.

Helen Beaumont
Helen Beaumont
Beaumont said it is committed to completing the re-development of the plant as soon as possible.

“We have engaged a contractor to assist us in completing this work as quickly and efficiently as possible and intend to bring a procurement plan to elected members in March for final approval,” she said.

“We have already let the market know that we will soon be seeking tenders for this project and will formally call for expressions of interest this month."

Once a contractor is chosen, the city council will be able to determine firm timelines for the project, but “work will begin this year.”

“The speed of implementation will be a criteria that we consider when assessing the tenders as we know this work needs to be done quickly," said Beaumont.

drivesouth-pow-generic-1_0.png

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter