Fire service called after smoke spotted at park

Photo: File
Photo: File
A cooking appliance was the cause a large amount of smoke at Sydenham Park on Tuesday afternoon.

A fire crew from the Spreydon Station was sent to the park on the corner of Colombo and Brougham Sts at 3.27pm.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said the cause of smoke was a cooking appliance - which could have been a community barbecue or pizza oven.

He did not know what type of appliance was used or what was being cooked (or overcooked).

"They are all allowed, as long as they are not smoking out the neighbours too much."

But the spokesman said having a member of the public call the fire service is exactly what it wants people to do.

"That thing we are taught as kids - see smoke and call 111," he said.

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter