House fire in Oamaru

A fire in the roof of an Oamaru house has been put out.

Two crews from Oamaru were called to the property in Torridge St, next to Glen Warren Kindergarten, about 11.40am today.

A Fire and Emergency NZ spokesman said the blaze was contained to the ceiling space.

Some iron from the roof had to be removed to gain access. 

An ambulance had been called for a resident believed to have suffered smoke inhalation, the spokesman said.

An investigator had been contacted, but the fire was not believed to be suspicious.

 

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter