Man sought after AOS callout in Burnside found

Armed police converged on a Christchurch street earlier today. Photo: George Heard
Armed police converged on a Christchurch street earlier today. Photo: George Heard

Police have located the 23-year-old man sought in relation to a firearms incident at Burnside on Thursday.

The man will appear in the Christchurch District Court today facing several charges, a police spokesperson said.

"These are still being confirmed.

"Police thank members of the public for their assistance and patience."

On Thursday afternoon, armed police and emergency services responded to an incident in the Roydvale Ave area in Burnside just before noon.

The house at the centre of the callout was listed as a holiday home but it was understood the man police were looking for following the alleged firearms incident was not in the area.

The house on Highwood Lane, off Roydvale, was surrounded. Police could smell gas and staff were wearing breathing apparatus.

A resident told The New Zealand Herald they could hear a police negotiator trying to convince a person to leave a house off Roydvale Ave.

"They had the negotiator about an hour ago saying come to your front door with your hands in the air and nothing in your hands," one woman said.

Photo: George Heard
Photo: George Heard

Police shouted: "Your house is surrounded by armed police".

"They had a drone up earlier but I can't see it any more," she said.

"The fire crew have gas tanks on... thought maybe they might try to gas them out..."

The woman said it felt like "half the city's cops" were at the scene.

Police at the scene of the incident. Photo: George Heard
Police at the scene of the incident. Photo: George Heard
Police, including the Armed Offenders Squad, were on site but have now left the scene.

"Police are continuing to make enquiries in relation to this matter," they said at 2.59pm in a statement.

"At this stage it is believed one person may have been involved and enquiries are ongoing in the surrounding area to locate the individual.

"We understand at least one primary school and one child centre has gone into lockdown as a precaution."

Earlier police said cordons had been put in place and the public was asked to avoid the area.

A primary school and early childhood centre on the street were then locked down.

A gym on the corner of Highwood Lane and Roydvale Ave had been told not to let anyone in or out.

Other businesses had also been locked down and told "nobody in or out" until further notice.

AOS members appeared to be wearing specialist gas masks and officers on the cordon were stopping all residents from entering the street.

A St John paramedic was also wearing breathing apparatus.

 

 

 

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter