You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
This week, Robyn Ruddenklau, of North Otago, shares her recipe for the caramel slice she served at the 22nd annual Fossil Creek Angus bull sale in Five Forks earlier this month.
2 tins condensed milk
200g butter, melted
4 Tbsp golden syrup
250g butter, melted
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups standard-grade flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1. Place all the caramel ingredients in a pot, heat until combined. Be sure to stir constantly to stop it catching (I sometimes make this the day before).
2. To make the base, place all dry ingredients in a bowl and combine with a wooden spoon.
3. Whisk two eggs and add to dry ingredients, mixing to combine.
4. Press ‘‘most’’ of this mixture into large slice tin, retaining some to sprinkle over the top (as a crumb topping).
5. Spread cold caramel mixture evenly over the base mixture and sprinkle the remaining dry mixture over the top of the caramel to resemble crumbs.
6. Heat the oven to 180degC and bake for 25-30 minutes.
7. Cool, slice and serve.