Rain hopefully flushes algae

As I write the rain has arrived and more is forecast, quite a lot more, so chances are weekend fishing options will not be great.

But do not despair, there is always somewhere to fish.

Rivers will probably rise and could be dirty, but on the bright side the accumulation of algae over recent weeks should be washed away.

If any river is fishable, it will be the Taieri on the Maniototo as it takes a day or two for a rise in water level to creep through from the upper river.

The lower river may not be so inviting, which is a shame as I have just got into the swing of fishing it in the past two weeks.

Of course, there are the stillwaters available to fish, dams, ponds and lakes all over the region to choose from.

It is predicted that Sunday will be a fine warm day but I suspect not fine enough to suit cicadas, so it will be a few days before they fly in numbers.

But trout will be feeding on all the other food forms available, making them catchable.

The other advantage of the rain is that water temperatures will drop.

I mentioned last week waters were cooler but the hot days last weekend had them rise again.

I was on the Mataura last weekend and the water temperature reached 24degC, getting close to the limit of trout tolerance. On the course I was running only six trout were landed and very few spotted.

The water was very low and clear and the riverbed carpeted in black algae which did not help.

There were very few insects on the water, too, therefore no rising fish. Hopefully, a flush of cool water will put things right.

The two days I fished the lower Taieri where different, the first fine and warm in the middle of anticyclone, the second at the start of this low-pressure system.

On the first day there were lots of rising fish, mainly on willow grub although on the first ripple that I fished I caught a fish feeding on inanga, dashing into the shallows into a shoal of the little fish. It turned out to be the best fish of the day at just under 2.5kg and in great condition.

The rest were sipping away under the trees and relatively easy to catch.

The second day was harder, not a lot of fish rising and at irregular intervals.

The wind became strong and blew leaves on to the river making it difficult to spot fish.

I only contacted four fish, landing three of them. Two of them were within a couple of metres of each other and about 10 minutes between them, one was rising to willow grub and the other chasing inanga.

Hopefully, the next visit is a bit better.

Add a Comment