Jetstar suspends planned flights from NZ to Cook Islands

jetstar.jpg
File photo
Jetstar has suspended flights from Auckland to Rarotonga until next March.

One disappointed customer who had paid to travel in October was told today his booking had been cancelled.

Jetstar had sold tickets earlier this year in the hope Australia would have joined the quarantine-free travel arrangement by then.

In an email to the customer the airline said: ''We're sorry to let you know that Jetstar is suspending its services between Auckland and Rarotonga until March 28, 2022.''

A Jetstar spokesman told The New Zealand Herald it had decided to suspend services to Rarotonga until that date for a number of operational reasons.

''However we fully intend to resume this route in late March 2022 if not earlier.''

Jetstar's services to Rarotonga originate in Australia (fifth freedom operation) so are currently not part of the NZ-Cook Island bubble.

The email said customers had the following options:

1) A Jetstar credit voucher to the full value of their untravelled booking, or

2) Refund to the full value of their untravelled booking to the form of payment for this booking, or

3) Free move to the next available travel date after March 29, 2022.

The Jetstar spokesman said for customers who opted for a refund of their Jetstar fare and still wished to travel to Rarotonga, Air New Zealand would be offering them the opportunity to book directly with them (subject to availability).

The email said Air New Zealand would respond to customers in order of travel date. Customers could expect to hear from them on these approximate dates:

• Travelling in October – from August 9.

• Travelling in November and December – from August 16

• Travelling between January and March – from August 23.

Jetstar has told customers: ''If you have a travel insurance policy which covers incidents like this and plan on making a claim, this letter could be a good one to include. We'd like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this announcement and we hope to welcome you on one of our flights in the future.''

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter