Not guilty plea in murder case

A 43-year-old hairdresser has pleaded not guilty to the murder of a Dunedin woman.

The defendant appeared in the High Court at Dunedin yesterday where she was granted continued name suppression for another two weeks.

Counsel John Westgate said he had only received a small portion of the police’s evidential disclosure and expected much more soon.

Any application to continue the suppression order would need to be supported by evidence, Justice Cameron Mander said.

The identity of the victim was also kept secret at the request of Crown prosecutor Craig Power.

No bail application was made and the defendant was remanded in custody by consent until February next year.

The defendant was charged almost immediately after a woman’s body was found at a Glenleith property on October 8.

However, according to charging documents, the murder took place more than two months earlier.

The scene where the victim’s body was found is a secluded area of dense bush and is rough and difficult to access.

A neighbour said the owner of the property was overseas and it had been rented for some time.

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter