Electrical fault likely cause of tractor fire

James Hazlett
James Hazlett
Fire crews extinguished a fire in a hay barn in Ranfury yesterday - the second blaze in three days in the town.

Appliances from Ranfurly and Naseby were called to the property on the Ranfurly-Patearoa Rd.

Ranfurly Chief Fire Officer James Hazlett confirmed a parked tractor which had been used earlier in the day caught fire about 1.30pm.

An electrical fault in the tractor was deemed the cause of the fire which left "medium charring to the woodwork'' of the shed, and blistered and bent iron, Mr Hazlett said.

No-one was injured.

The fire was extinguished just after 2pm, a Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said.

It follows a chimney fire on Saturday which left a home in Caulfield St "unlivable'' and a family homeless.

Mr Hazlett said the family had been receiving support from the local community and believed "a house had been offered''.

adam.burns@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

Local journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Otago Daily Times reporters and photographers continue to bring you the stories that matter. For more than 158 years our journalists have provided readers with local news you can trust. This is more important now than ever.

As advertising drops off during the pandemic, support from our readers is crucial. You can help us continue to bring you news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter