John McGlashan brushes aside last year's bogeymen at Littlebourne

Sometimes a little look in the rear vision mirror is exactly what a team needs.

Otago Boys' High School Second XV upset John McGlashan College last year and McGlashan was pretty keen to avoid a repeat.

It blasted aside its rival 71-19 in an Otago premier schools match at Littlebourne on Saturday.

The win has seen it firm its position in the top four with two rounds remaining before the tournament splits into a top, middle and bottom four.

Coach Matt Direen was thrilled with the performance, particularly the first-half effort.

"I guess we've been building in intensity in the last sort of couple of weeks," he said.

"It clicked in the first half for us. We really found structure in possession, which was really pleasing.

"Their seconds had beaten us last year so we were really conscious of putting in a good performance this year."

McGlashan received two yellow cards in the second half, so there is room for improvement.

Hooker George Bell switched to prop partway through the second spell. He had a tremendous match, setting

up a few tries with some strong running and good distribution.

Fullback Nico Bowering was the best of the backs. He grabbed a couple of long-range tries and had a high work rate.

He also secured some turnovers with some mighty defence, while halfback Henry Power produced one of his best performances of the season.

He cleared the rucks nicely and made some darting runs.

In the other games, Southland Boys' High School was too strong for Dunstan High School, winning 50-18 in Alexandra.

King's High School beat Mount Aspiring College 50-14 at King's. Wakatipu High School had a 43-12 win against South Otago High School in Balclutha, and St Kevin's College edged the Combined Co-Eds 43-28 in Oamaru.

 

Add a Comment

 

suv-updated-banner_1.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter