Ballance trading profit rises almost 20%

Fertiliser co-operative Ballance Agri-Nutrients says cost-cutting helped drive its trading profit up by 19.8 per cent to $92.6 million, despite last summer's drought reducing demand.

Ballance said its shareholders were in line for a record rebate and dividend of $65/tonne, along with a recommended 60-cent increase in the value of the co-operative's shares to $8.10.

A rebate averaging $60.83 per tonne and a fully imputed dividend of 10 cents per share would be paid out nearly six weeks earlier than normal to assist farmer cash flows, post-drought, it said.

"The drought may be over but the financial impacts are not, so we are fast-tracking the payment for shareholders in recognition of that so they can gain the full benefits of a good year for their co-operative as quickly as possible," chairman David Graham said in a statement.

In total, Ballance's 18,300 shareholders will receive a $65 million distribution.

Graham said the drought had affected fertiliser demand and sales volumes over the financial year, which ended on May 31.

A fire at Ballance's Kapuni urea plant in August 2011 meant the previous year's result was reduced by $20 million. Chief executive Larry Bilodeau said Kapuni coming back on stream was a factor in the improved result. "Kapuni was not the main factor but it played its role," he told APNZ.

Group sales volumes - at 1.33 million tonnes - were 7.6 per cent behind the prior year and revenue was $878 million compared to the prior year's $915 million.

Bilodeau said farmer confidence was improving. "We are seeing positive signs across all sectors with the dairy payout forecasts looking good, improvements in dry stock prices, and a lift in optimism in the cropping and horticulture sectors," he said.

Ballance sources it phosphate from North Africa, China, Vietnam and Canada but currency fluctuations did not play a big part in its result, Bilodeau said.

In the domestic fertiliser sector, Ballance is the larger player, with about 54 per cent market share. The other operator - Ravensdown - has 46 per cent.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter