Monster Slide event in Dunedin cancelled

The trouble-plagued Monster Slide has slipped away from Dunedin.

Organisers promised ''Summer in the city will never be the same'', but have pulled the plug on the Dunedin event this Sunday.

The 300m water slide was originally to be set up in the Octagon, but following consultation with council a decision was made to transfer it to the Oval.

However, the event was pulled from the website and several ticket-buyers confirmed to the Otago Daily Times the event was cancelled due to ''low sales''.

A Dunedin City Council spokeswoman confirmed the application to hold the event had been withdrawn.

Monster Slide chief executive Jamie Templeton, of Wellington, did not return calls yesterday.

Last month, he told the newspaper Dunedin was lagging behind with ticket sales, selling between 1000 and 2000.

Ticket prices started at $15 for three slides.

The event has been dogged by complaints following its debut in Christchurch.

Complaints included that of a 54-year-old Christchurch man with suspected spinal injuries after being knocked down by another slider, and about long queues.

The event moved to Nelson yesterday.

hamish.mcneilly@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter