Name suppression extended

A 24-year-old man charged with attempted murder after a shooting in Karitane will have his identity kept secret for at least another two weeks.

The defendant appeared in the High Court at Dunedin yesterday morning. No plea was entered by counsel Campbell Savage.

At his request, Justice Cameron Mander extended name suppression of the defendant until a hearing in a fortnight.

The next substantive call of the matter would take place in February next year, the court heard.

It is understood the victim was shot in the head, in the seaside village north of Dunedin on October 15.

Police were called to the Coast Rd property at 3.20pm, Detective Inspector Stu Harvey said.

The injured man was rushed to Christchurch Hospital by helicopter.

Later that afternoon, at least half a dozen police officers, including a member of the armed offenders squad, were involved in the arrest of a man about 20km south of where the incident took place.

The victim was in a ‘‘stable’’ condition last week, according to family members.

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter