Rage after stereo seized

Tania Vince (37) bit a police officer’s hand while she was being processed at the station. Photo:...
Tania Vince (37) bit a police officer’s hand while she was being processed at the station. Photo: Rob Kidd
A Mosgiel woman went berserk when noise control staff turned up to her home to confiscate a stereo, a court has heard.

Tania Lee Vince (37) was arrested during the June 24 incident and reacted by biting and spitting at police officers.

Security staff turned up with police following a noise complaint at 3.45pm that day and once the stereo had been seized, the drama commenced.

First, a woman at the address became "emotional and angry" and ran from the property screaming insults at neighbours.

That triggered Vince’s rage, Judge Michael Crosbie said.

She picked up a speaker and threw it across the room before pushing past police and attempting to retrieve the sound system.

Vince was warned several times, the court heard, but it did little to calm her.

Eventually police had had enough but when she realised she was to be arrested, she tried to walk away.

It took two officers to handcuff the defendant, then she sat on the ground refusing to walk to the police car nearby.

As Vince was being searched, she kicked out at a male constable and when they finally got her in the vehicle she aimed blows at the windows.

Once everyone was in the car, she spat in the officer’s face.

The debacle progressed when they reached the station, where Vince lay on the floor refusing to move.

After a failed negotiation, officers forcibly pulled the defendant to her feet but while they did so, she bit the hand of a female constable.

"Throughout the process, you voiced your dislike towards the police," Judge Crosbie said.

"Your behaviour was appalling on that night."

He said the assaults did not result in injury but the victims had faced a nervous wait until blood tests were returned.

"You may think spitting is nothing; it may be something you do quite a bit but it’s abhorrent," the judge said.

"What can be transmitted by spit is quite serious."

Counsel Meg Scally said her client realised alcohol was the catalyst for her meltdown but she said it was binge drinking at the weekend rather than daily use.

Vince had recently found out she was pregnant, which had motivated her to change her life, the court heard.

She was convicted of two counts of assaulting police, resisting and disorderly behaviour, and sentenced to three months’ home detention.


Add a Comment