You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Octagon market stallholders say despite being initially given confirmed market dates through to April, the Dunedin City Council has changed its mind and told them January 23 will be their last day.
It comes as angry Octagon business owners continue to rail against the proposal.
The trial closures would be staggered between January and March next year, including a full closure from January 27 to February 16 and partial closures from February 17 to March 23.
About 25 market stallholders and business owners attended a meeting at Craft Bar and Kitchen yesterday to air their concerns.
For photographer and stallholder Elaine Grant-Dolby, the reduced market dates would have a serious impact.
Mrs Grant-Dolby, who sells gifts such as glass coasters that incorporate her photos, had ordered $10,000 worth of stock before learning of the change.
She hoped to get most of her money back, but she believed she would end the season with ‘‘an awful amount of stock’’ remaining.
"We’ve ordered the stock, and for what? We’re stuck with it."
She said the market attracted people to the Octagon, which in turn meant more business for nearby shops.
The New Zealand Shop owner Evelyn McDowall said she was concerned about a lack of consultation.
Seriously Twisted Possum Merino owner Linzi Irving had been one of those leading the charge against the proposal, as she believed it would have a major impact on her bottom line.
She said pedestrianisation itself was not a bad thing, but the council had "dropped it on us".
She believed the effects could drive some people out of business.
Enterprise Dunedin chairman John Christie said affected party consultation was still ongoing, and alternative options were being looked at for some issues raised.
An example was the concern over initial plans to drop cruise ship bus passengers outside Toitu, which had been changed to a Cumberland St stop instead.
Mr Christie said alternative market locations were also being investigated.
Regarding concerns over a lack of consultation, he said processes could always be improved.
"We would approach this differently if we were starting again."
There would be a lot of data collection during the trial to inform cost/benefit analysis, and no future closure plans were set in stone, he said.
"This is truly a trial, as far as I’m aware."