You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The hugely popular annual event was put on hold at the end of March, just before the start of the Alert Level 4 lockdown.
All ticket-holders were refunded and every event was called off.
But director Martin King says the LGBTQI+ festival itself was never cancelled.
“We are rebuilding events that can occur domestically with domestic talent within the Covid-19 Level 2 restrictions.”
Last week King’s team reached out to their audience, advising them that to bring the event back they needed guests to pre-register to give an indication of interest in the current environment.
“In less than a week we have had almost 400 pre-registrations for festival passes.”
Despite being a lot smaller than originally planned, planning for a new event has been a “good challenge”, King says.
“We have been innovative … we’ve got a really loyal market that’s super-excited to be coming back to Queenstown.”
Sponsors and local venues have been delighted with the fact the event – being held August 28 till September 6 – will bring some optimism, positivity and excitement back to the resort, he says.
“Even though it will be smaller than what it has been in the past, it’s still a real boost for the economy and for locals who want to be involved.”