Dominant Magic into final

Josh Aitcheson.
Josh Aitcheson.
The Mid City Magic has bounced back to secure a spot in the Dunedin club final.

After dropping its first game of the season in last Saturday's playoff game, it delivered a dominant performance to beat the City Rise Bombers 95-75 last night.

The win earns it a rematch with the St Kilda Saints on Saturday, the team which beat it last weekend.

The Magic got off to a fast start and led 24-18 at the end of the first quarter.

Josh Aitcheson had 12 points in the quarter, hitting two three-pointers, before proving nearly unstoppable going to the hoop, with both his scoring and passing ability.

Defensively, he was a presence too, his rim protection making it difficult for the Bombers to get to the hoop.

The Magic came out strongly after the break, playing with pace on offence and intensity on defence.

It held the Bombers to four points in the first six minutes, while piling on a further 18 itself to lead 42-22.

At that point Aitcheson and Richie Rodger took a sub and the Bombers went on a run to get the score back to 46-33 at halftime.

The Bombers continued their run into the third quarter and, when Steve Robinson hit a three-pointer, the lead was cut to 10, but they were unable to keep it up.

Robinson was forced off the court because of blood and the Magic went on another run.

That extended the lead to 71-46, as the Bombers struggled to score and struggled to contain the Magic in transition at the other end.

Robinson returned, but the gap was too much to overcome, as the game wound down through the fourth quarter.

Aitcheson led the way for the Magic with 23 points, while Benoit Hayman had 17 and Darcy Knox had 16.

Richie Rodger had nine and was a constant presence with his ability to control the game and pass off the dribble.

For the Bombers, Steve Robinson top-scored with 33, while Anton Hughes had 20.

The game also signalled the end of Bombers big man Chris Hepburn's career after 25 seasons in the competition.

Add a Comment