McGlashan too strong and fast for Waitaki

John McGlashan College captain Rory Ferguson crashes past Waitaki Boys’ High School lock Patrick...
John McGlashan College captain Rory Ferguson crashes past Waitaki Boys’ High School lock Patrick Henwood to score during the Otago premier schools final at Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin on Saturday. Photo: Christine O'Connor.

Rolling behind its big, strong and non-compromising forward pack, John McGlashan ran out a convincing winner of the Otago premier schools competition on Saturday.

In the final at Forsyth Barr Stadium, the Dunedin side was too good for a gallant but ultimately outgunned Waitaki Boys’ High School, winning 23-0 after leading 18-0 at the break.

It was a just reward for the McGlashan side that had gone through the season unbeaten and was not threatened at all throughout the year.

The McGlashan side has some experienced forwards and they ran the ball up hard, and though Waitaki Boys’ was desperate in defence, it just could not match up to the strong McGlashan runners.

Time after time the McGlashan wave of forwards kept coming and Waitaki gave up the gain line too easily.

When it tried to  run the ball out, Waitaki failed to find much space and often died with the ball.

McGlashan fullback Ryan Neill opened the scoring with two penalties in the first quarter.

McGlashan openside flanker Henry Bell scored the first try of the game after 24 minutes when the white jerseys camped on the tryline and Bell burrowed over.

McGlashan skipper Rory Ferguson scored his side’s second try just before halftime when he was too hard to stop charging on to the ball 5m from the line.

The second half rather meandered along as McGlashan went off the boil and Waitaki tried hard but its handling left a lot to be desired.

McGlashan clinched the game in the final minute when replacement back Tom Mee went over.

McGlashan right winger Charlie Baker was yellow carded just after 10 minutes into the second half but the boys from Oamaru could not take advantage.

Openside flanker Sailosi Vea made one slashing break for Waitaki but in the end it all come to nothing.

Waitaki banged away at the McGlashan tryline but could not get across.

Best for McGlashan were locks Woody Kirkwood and Sam Moir-Grace, while Bell and Ferguson were all over the park. Centre Jimmie Sinclair and fullback Neill looked good out the back for the victors.

Waitaki’s best were Vea and prop Pete Armstrong.  Halfback Kieran McClea was busy and second five-eighth Mason Kinzett never threw in the towel.

With the win, which earned it the Otago Daily Times Cup, McGlashan will play Otago Boys’ High School this Saturday for the right to be the Otago representative in the national top-four competition.

Otago premier schools

John McGlashan College 23

Henry Bell, Rory Ferguson, Tom Mee tries; Ryan Neill con, 2 pen

Waitaki Boys’ High School 0

Halftime: 18-0

Add a Comment