
Almost 50 pupils from Portobello and Macandrew Bay Schools made submissions, some complete with drawings, on the Dunedin City Council’s nine-year plan (2025-34), urging progress on Te Awa Ōtākou.
Also known as the Peninsula Connection, the project aimed to improve road safety and formed part of a shared path around Otago Harbour, but three sections on the peninsula remain incomplete.

"All there is, is a tiny piece of off-cut along the side of the road," one pupil who was involved in a crash said.
"If a car was coming along there at a high speed, which they usually do, it could easily collide into a pedestrian or biker."

Others told the council their parents did not let them walk in the area and some shared concerns about the impact on local tourism.
The council was considering funding $18.5 million through the nine-year plan to complete the project. Support from government agencies was unlikely, it said.

"Can you please finish the path you promised, but I love your work so far," one submission said.
Another was concerned about fellow pupils: "How terrible for Portobello School to not to have a pathway! There might be an accident."

Portobello School teacher and Otago Peninsula Community Board member Cheryl Neill made a submission on behalf of the school saying it was "essential" the council complete Te Awa Ōtākou.
"In these three areas there are no walkways and no room for error. It is dangerous for our tamariki," she said.

"It's really important for our children to see that their voice can actually make a real difference to things like this."
A week-long hearing on the plan begins on Monday.












