You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A decision regarding about 80 new glass bus shelters planned for sites throughout Dunedin is expected within a week, after the Dunedin City Council hearings committee yesterday concluded a two-day meeting.
However, a final decision about plans for another 40 more contentious shelters could be delayed by "a couple of weeks", after they drew opposition from neighbours, committee chairman Cr Colin Weatherall confirmed.
The committee yesterday heard from the last of about 15 submitters concerned about plans for about 120 new shelters at existing bus stops throughout the city.
The mainly glass shelters aim to encourage bus patronage, improve passengers' visibility to drivers and discourage undesirable behaviour.
Plans for about 80 of the shelters were accepted without opposition or after negotiations, but homeowners continued to object to about 40 of the shelters, citing a variety of concerns at this week's public hearing.
Cr Weatherall said yesterday he and committee member Cr Andrew Noone would release their decision in two parts, beginning next week with their views on the uncontested shelters.
However, site visits would be needed later this week, followed by further deliberations, before final decisions could be made in "a couple of weeks" about the remaining 40 shelters opposed by neighbours, Cr Weatherall said.
This week's hearing began in bizarre circumstances on Monday, when Cr Lee Vandervis, the third member of the committee, withdrew from his role in protest.
He had earlier objected to the consultation process and submissions from lawyer Michael Garbett, suggesting the committee was restricted in the scope of issues raised by neighbours it could consider.
Cr Vandervis was absent yesterday, but Cr Weatherall again indicated it would be up to the committee to determine which issues raised by submitters it could consider.