Gang member jailed for 3 months for absconding

John-Boy Rakete (27) will spend about six weeks in prison (half of his new sentence) before he is...
John-Boy Rakete (27) will spend about six weeks in prison (half of his new sentence) before he is released again. PHOTO: SUPPLIED
A Dunedin gang member, whose petrol-station attack led to the death of his victim, went on the run to attend a "gang event", a court has heard.

John-Boy Rakete (27) appeared in the Dunedin District Court yesterday, where, after some brief indecision, he pleaded guilty to breaching his release conditions.

Judge Michael Turner sentenced the Mongrel Mob member to three months’ imprisonment.

Rakete was freed from prison on September 10 after serving two years, two months behind bars on a charge of causing grievous bodily harm with reckless disregard to Nigel Landreth.

The victim died 14 months after the assault, too long after the event for Rakete to be charged with murder or manslaughter.

The Parole Board imposed a range of release conditions, including GPS monitoring to run for six months, in an attempt to stop Rakete reoffending.

But on November 8, the gang member removed his tracking bracelet and left the home at which he was supposed to be living.

Police posted a photo of Rakete on Facebook alerting the public to his disappearance, and said he might have travelled as far as Auckland.

Probation told Judge Turner it was understood the defendant absconded so he could attend a "gang event".

On July 7, 2018 Mr Landreth arrived at the Hillside Rd petrol station to buy energy drinks on his way to a party.

Rakete arrived shortly after, wearing his gang patch, driving a BMW.

The pair exchanged words and the defendant hit the victim.

A bystander tended to Mr Landreth as he lay on the concrete with blood pouring from his ears.

As he convulsed and gasped for air, Rakete poured a soft drink over him, the court heard at sentencing.

Legislation that prevented police from laying more serious charges against the gang member has since been repealed.

Rakete, who had a history of serious violence, would likely be released around Christmas time, the judge said.

His release conditions will continue to run until March.








Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter