You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The Dunedin City Council dedicated $10,000 towards the creation of a live music action plan during its 10-year plan deliberations earlier this year.
A report presented to this week’s full council meeting revealed that full sum had been spent on the first phase of the three-phase process to produce the plan.
It foreshadowed the need for more funding to implement the plan in phase three, and said a request for further money would be presented to council’s annual plan meeting on December 13.
The first phase of the process started in June.
Council staff have been meeting fortnightly with members of the Save Dunedin Live Music collective to identify and understand the issues facing live music performers in the city.
Two pieces of work were the result of this consultation.
The first of these was the commissioning of a report into best-practice noise control and management practices from around the country, focusing on topics such as zoning, maximum noise levels, and reverse sensitivity.
This report was expected to be delivered by the end of this month.
Council creative partnerships manager Kirsten Glengarry told the meeting about $8500 of the initial funding had gone towards this work.
The balance had gone towards the second project, which was a series of seven workshops headed up by local musician Craig Birch-Morunga.
These workshops had engaged with the local music community to gather their feedback on the issues facing them.
Phase two would start shortly as council staff used the feedback to produce the action plan, which was expected to be completed by June 30, 2022.
The third phase was the implementation of the plan which was expected to take place in the 2022-23 financial year, subject to extra funding.