Backing urged for holiday park housing

A Dunedin city councillor is putting Aaron Lodge back on the agenda, urging the government to reconsider its stance and back the former holiday park for use as community accommodation.

Cr Mandy Mayhem says the former Aaron Lodge Holiday Park, in Kaikorai Valley, would be "ideal" to provide housing for the city’s homeless population.

Last year, Dunedin Mayor Jules Radich pitched the disused site, owned by Kāinga Ora but up for sale, as a possible temporary housing complex for homeless people.

Housing Minister Chris Bishop rejected the idea as the building lacked services required for those complex needs, although the council was welcome to continue assessment work, at its own cost.

Councillor Mandy Mayhem is calling for the government to back a proposal for accommodation...
Councillor Mandy Mayhem is calling for the government to back a proposal for accommodation services at Dunedin’s former Aaron Lodge Holiday Park. PHOTO: STEPHEN JAQUIERY
At Tuesday’s council meeting, elected officials will consider Cr Mayhem’s motion which requests the mayor write to Mr Bishop asking the government to reconsider the decision and "allow" the property to be used for accommodation.

On-site yesterday, Cr Mayhem, who is running for mayor and council this election, said sending a letter to the government was the least the council could do.

"We have an obligation to all of our residents to make sure they’re safe, they’re warm and they’ve got a roof over their heads," she said.

"The government has that obligation to the whole nation."

Mr Radich’s proposal was a good idea; the lodge needed a "bit of paint and a tidy-up" and it was a shame the minister did not see a need for the accommodation in Dunedin, she said.

"I certainly remember a time in my life as a young mum on the [Domestic Purposes Benefit] when I was one bill payment away from homelessness," Cr Mayhem said.

"It could be anybody right now in this current cost-of-living crisis."

Cr Mayhem said she lodged her motion after members of a housing hui held on Monday decided to write to Mr Bishop in support of accommodation at Aaron Lodge.

Otago Housing Alliance leader and former Dunedin mayor Aaron Hawkins said it was important the government be reminded of Dunedin’s needs, as it clearly was not a priority.

However, the council also had a role to play — its decision earlier this year not to move ahead with planned expansion of Dunedin’s community housing programme did not help matters, Mr Hawkins said.

"There is clearly growing support in our community for their representatives to do more to help — that means more advocacy, yes, but also more action."

Mr Radich said the council had "nothing to lose" by writing the letter and he would support the motion.

"At the core of the issue" was government policy which did not appear to support emergency housing, he said.

"It’s a matter of having a partnership with government to do it," Mr Radich said.

"It’s not as simple as it might appear, but there’s no harm in trying and I’m happy to have another go."

The property was bought by Kāinga Ora for more than $4 million about four years ago.

It has been on the market since January.

ruby.shaw@odt.co.nz

 

Advertisement