You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Alibi closed on Sunday after Cook Brothers Bars chief executive James Arnott last month blamed a crackdown on the appointment of temporary duty managers for its demise.
Mr Arnott yesterday said the bar could reopen with new branding after a positive discussion with the Dunedin District Licensing Committee (DLC).
The DLC was considering a proposal for its temporary managers to only run the bar before 6pm, leaving more experienced duty managers to run it during busier times, he said.
If the DLC agreed it would allow the rebranded bar to reopen with the same staff as the old bar. It would also make the administration of the rules governing temporary managers, who had less than six months experience, more in line with the rest of the country.
He acknowledged it was likely going to rebrand the bar even without the temporary managers problem. However, unless there was movement on the issue it was possible it would be forced to leave the location entirely.
DLC chairman Colin Weatherall said it would consider the issue today and hoped it could find a practical solution.
Dunedin City Council licensing inspector Tony Mole said last month there had been no change in the rules.
''Mr Arnott has been unable to have continuity of staff to be able to provide experienced people at high-risk times of the day,'' Mr Mole said.